In the beginning
The Business was started in Plymouth in 1887 by William G Capps having served his apprenticeship since the 1860's as a watchmaker. William's son Reginald William Capps started his apprenticeship with his father for three years and then went to Jersey for a further two years to do his Improvers. Having completed his apprenticship he opened a shop in Westwell Street Plymouth, using the name 'Wray' - which was his grandmother's maiden name as his father was still trading as W G Capps.
On his father's retirement on the 8th July 1921 a promissory note was signed for £1500.00, for Tenants, Fixtures, Fittings & Stock in respect of the business carried on at 192a Union Street, between father & son. Although two shops premises were destroyed in Union Street & Old Town Street during the Plymouth Blitz, within a fortnight of each other, Reginald still continued to trade from the front window of a chemist.
After the war, Reginald played a key role for the allocation of premises for the jewellers in Plymouth as he was the chairman of the Jewellery Association of Plymouth.
6 Generations Later
After the war Reginald was joined by his daughter & son-in-law Bettie & Herbert Statton. They were later joined by their son Richard. In 1963 the New George Street premises was opened, and remains open today being run by Richard's son Andrew who joined the business 1985.
In August 2006 Andrew (Snr) achieved his ambition of a second shop, when 51 Fore Street, Kingsbridge was opened. In 2012 Andrew (Jnr), the sixth generation joined his father, and works side by side to carry the family business forward for future generations.